Automatic Watering System
The first project that I’m planning is an automatic watering system. I have a bunch of pots on my balcony and keeping them well watered is a challenge, especially in summer. Furthermore, if they are watered too much, swarms of fungus gnats appear, which are difficult to get rid of.
The goals I have in mind are:
- Automatically water plants based on moisture levels in pots.
- Solar powered — running power out to the balcony isn’t really an option.
- Quiet operation.
- Multiple zones so that the smaller pots are watered more often than the larger ones.
- Self-monitoring — send alerts when low on water or if no water has been delivered for some time (perhaps factoring in time of year and temperature).
- Controlled by C.H.I.P. with software written in Rust.
Nice to haves:
- Web dashboard — moisture levels, watering log, water storage level.
- Schedule watering after dusk.
At this stage I’m researching pumps to get a feel for the power demands. This one is looking good so far. Once I’ve settled on the pump I’ll move on to the power system: solar panel, battery and maybe charging circuit and DC-DC converter.